Thursday, May 6, 2010

Social Networking 3

The social networking site Ning seems to be very limited in networks. The general tabs offer easy access to a network of interest, but once in the tab, there are not many choices. The first tab I selected was music, and I chose a band called Anarbor. I picked this because I thought it had something to do with Ann Arbor. When the page opened, the entire site referenced 4.20 (smoking marijuana). This is not appropriate for school nor is it educational. The next tab I chose was entertainment and still nothing of interest. However, the education tab brought me to a network for English teachers. Bingo! This is my avenue. Yet, I’m still not a winner because when I selected a resource, I had to register to use the site and wait for approval. I guess I need to be a little more patient.

Ning has a clean appearance and is easy to navigate. Someone who is new to social networking would find this less intimidating and friendly to use. However, an experience person, I think, would want more in the category of searching. The search engine does generate more topics than the series of tabs on the main page. At first use, I’m not too impress, but that doesn’t mean there is something more to offer that I haven’t discovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment