Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Second Life Experience

Second Life definitely has a learning curve, but it doesn’t take long to get immersed in the virtual world. Because there is so much involved with SL, it is an intimidating world to explore. It’s had to get pass that nothing is real about SL. The landscapes, human abilities, and profiles are made up to suit the program. Navigating through all of the options to enjoy the virtual world is also cumbersome. Pretty much nothing feels natural about living in Second Life….until you actually surrender the notion that you are not part of an earthly world.
Just as moving to any new environment, you have to put yourself out there and get over the uncomfortable feeling of the new surroundings. This is what I had to convince myself to do. Once I started to explore the different places in SL, walking and flying became effortless. I actually became curious about where I could go and what I could discover. There were so many fascinating objects to look at and visually stunning environments to travel through. The Lost Gardens of Apollo was such a beautiful place I actually felt a sense of peacefulness while exploring. When I teleported to Morocco, I walked through the bazaar wishing I could smell the spices at one of the vendors. I finally ended up at the Bay City Airport. I was irritated that I couldn’t get a drink at the bar. When I left the bar, I accidentally walked into the Lady’s Power Room. I felt embarrassed and so flustered that I couldn’t walk anymore.
My avatar, Scott Catlyn, is intentionally misleading. This was done because many people create their avatars to be super model gorgeous; thus, truly living in a virtual world. I want mine to be the opposite of what others expect to see. To be honest, I have not come across anyone in SL who would be stereotypically unattractive. So I am completely unique in appearance.

3 comments:

  1. This week's podcast touches on the idea of beautiful avatars! You hit the nail on the head with that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your avatar IS unique in appearance. I think that's a challenging and refreshing approach to take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes,I was surprised by your avatar. I kind of just went for the first one I saw. Also, looks nothing like me. She is more of the rocker chic.

    ReplyDelete