Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Delicious

I've used delicious before to help build my class web site with interactive widgets. It's a great spot of find all kinds of tools because the tags help narrow the search. While I was searching today, I came across Welcome to Whyville. I thought maybe this was a more age appropriate version of Second Life. I've never liked Second Life because of the inappropriate material on the web site, i.e. people can walk around naked and the gambling (I haven't used it in years, so maybe things have changed.) WTW is no better. The avitars are scaled down and restricted to what you can look like, which is good. It takes the emphasis off of trying to look like a movie star. BTW, has anyone noticed how the people in the avitar snapshot of the home page of the EDMT592 look like they're all from Miami with the over exposed cleavage and buff bodies (Oh, and some of the guys look like they are playing with themselves)? I'm really not that Puritanical. Anyway, while I was exploring WTW, I ended up on a beach full of what seemed to be middle school age kids. It was like I was teaching middle school again. Some of the kids were whispering to each other. Another group was making fun of others by calling them gay. It was sad. I finally typed the comment, "Wow! I must be at a gay beach because everyone seems to be gay." When I tried to submit my comment, I was blocked for using inappropriate words that were not part of my "list." Go figure.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I'm going to have to re-examine that image. I just tried to find one that would fit. As for inappropriate elements of SL, I guess one analogy would be that if SL was like a WalMart there would be plenty of educational and/or interesting/informative elements if you looked for them, but there are also all sorts of things that are inappropriate too. I avoid the gambling areas because I have no interest in them and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed, prompted by your comment, that the hand palcement of one of the leg and another inside the leg seemed to be a standard feature of whatever sitting script the owners of the island were employing. I've seen it in a number of places. Not sure it was intended to suggest anything other than being casual, but there you go.

    New shot: Young man in a suit standing in the Sistine Chapel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read about Whyville as well, have you played around with it at all? I have not had the time to check it out, but it did sound "safer" than SL.

    ReplyDelete